Monday, February 6, 2012

MRSD Travel Log - February Newsletter

MRSD Travel Log - February Newsletter

The beginning of my year as Miss Rodeo South Dakota has been nothing short of a whirlwind! After an outstanding coronation, my first stop was a week at the National Western Stock Show & Rodeo in Denver, Colorado. I was able to meet some great sponsors my first two days there. Thank you to Bailey, Dan Post, Tony Lama, & Kippy for all of their support! Also, the rodeo was fantastic! Boyd Polhamus and Hambone did an excellent job keeping the crowd excited during each performance. Plus, it was fun seeing the other state queens again and catching up since meeting in Las Vegas this past December.

Immediately after returning home from Denver, I hosted a “Meet & Greet” at the Sisseton Winter Show. I enjoyed being back home and being able to thank the community again for all their support. Not everyone is familiar with the role of Miss Rodeo South Dakota, and the Winter Show appearance provided me with the opportunity to explain my upcoming year to those who were not able to attend coronation.

Four days later, I found myself unpacking to repack for the Black Hills Stock Show & Rodeo in Rapid City. It seems almost surreal to attend as Miss Rodeo South Dakota. I have been coming to the stock show since I was eight years old, only then hoping I might run into the elusive rodeo queens.


Upon arriving to Rapid City, my schedule filled up quickly. Rodeo performances, daily autograph signings, and sponsor visits were just a few of the items on the itinerary. We even spent a morning at the downtown square. Since Miss Rodeo ND, Sadie Wardner, and I weren’t brave enough to try to ice skate in public, we brought along a roping dummy and ropes to share what we know how to do. One thing is for certain, when the stock show rolls around, Rapid City knows the cowboys are in town.

Throughout the years, I have had the privilege of carrying sponsor flags for Sutton Rodeos. During the Black Hills Stock Show & Rodeo, they put on a fantastic show every year. Their continue support of the future of rodeo is evident, always taking time for the upcoming competitors, like the High School 20X Extreme Showcase. And as always, I see firsthand the extraordinary people throughout South Dakota that make this state so great!

Every day I spend on the road, I am continually reminded of how fortunate we are to live in a country that allows us to be free. Each state queen that I have met exemplifies the diversity throughout our country, all while holding the same values about faith and family so common to the western lifestyle. From the national anthem sung at the beginning of every performance, to cowboy church on Sundays, and even the ability to eat steak, sushi, pasta, and tacos all in the same day, it is an enormous blessing to live where we do.

With my February schedule just as full, I look forward to writing to everyone again.

Until next time,
Courtney Peterson
Miss Rodeo South Dakota 2012


Throwing out T-shirts for the Colorado Lottery during the National Western Stock Show & Rodeo in Denver, CO.
Photo courtesy of Beverly Udell.

Speaking at the Sisseton Winter Show during the Miss Rodeo South Dakota Meet & Greet.

Rodeo Queens on Ice!  Miss Rodeo ND, Sadie Wardner & I in dowtown Rapid City.

Stockmen's Ball during the BHSS with Miss Black Hills Stock Show & Rodeo, Kristina Maddocks; Miss Rodeo America, Mackenzie Carr; Miss Rodeo USA (IPRA), Trisha Smeenk; and myself.

 
Watching the Ranch Rodeo during the Black Hills Stock Show with one of the cutest fans, Hank Hanson, of Sisseton.

Stopping by to say 'Hi' to Jerry Westphal during the BHSS.  So thankful to have such a great sponsor (and beautiful fur coat!).
(L-R) Myself, Miss Rodeo North Dakota, Sadie Wardner; Jerry Westphal; & Miss Rodeo Idaho, Caitlin Thorne.

Mt. Rushmore visit with Jr. Miss Rodeo SD, Kay Marrs.
Photo courtesy of Beverly Udell.

The visiting royalty at Mt. Rushmore. (L-R) Sadie Wardner, ND; Jamie Udell, UT; Mackenzie Carr, America; Saren Udell; myself; Caitlin Thorne, ID; Sabrina Behr, MN; Kay Marrs, JRMRSD, Kallie Baker, OK; & Laura Tayson, WI.
Photo courtesy of Beverly Udell.

No comments:

Post a Comment