Monday, January 16, 2012

MRSD Travel Log - January Newsletter

MRSD Travel Log - January Newsletter

Honored and humbled; appreciative and in awe. To list everyone that helped make my Miss Rodeo South Dakota Coronation above and beyond of what I had anticipated would cover this entire page! However, the story starts much earlier than January 7th.

The pageant is held during the Fourth of July at the Black Hills Roundup. When my name was called as Miss Rodeo South Dakota 2012 in the Belle Fourche arena, relief swept through me. The years of preparation and planning, countless hours of studying and practicing had finally paid off. At that moment, I realized that in 18 months I would be in Las Vegas, competing for the title of Miss Rodeo America, a once far-fetched dream now within my reach.

Shortly after coming home for the contest, reality crept in. In just the six months as Lady in Waiting, I had traveled 6,000 miles, leaving the state only once for the Badland Circuit Finales in Minot, North Dakota. With fuel, food and lodging, the expenses quickly piled up. Although my reign did not officially start until January, I was already seeing the large financial contribution my year as Miss Rodeo South Dakota was going to take.

The main purpose of Miss Rodeo South Dakota is to promote the state, professional rodeo, and the western lifestyle. To serve as an ambassador for a way of life so many of us in SD take for granted. In laymen’s terms, each girl that wears the crown has one year to share our state’s story.

I have always been impressed with the unity and support of our state, and never was it more evident than the night at the American Legion in Sisseton during my coronation. Although I have always enjoyed writing, I am still unable to put into words everything that happened that evening. Synergy is when the outcome is greater than the sum of its parts. That is exactly what happened in Sisseton. In one night a town came together to support a member of the community, not just a crown, not just a title, but because it’s simply what South Dakotans do, believe in and support each other. And that is exactly what the western way of life about!

Not only did I have an outstanding coronation, with a record amount to finance my year, but now I can afford to share what SD is all about, and I have experience firsthand the exact thing Miss Rodeo South Dakota stands for! So thank you! Thank you for giving me the chance to live an opportunity of a lifetime! I will never be able to say it enough; thank you to everyone for your support not only that night, but throughout the years. Just like I said at the beginning, I am truly honored and humbled, appreciative and in awe.

Yours truly, 
Courtney Peterson
Miss Rodeo South Dakota 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment